lundi 12 septembre 2016

August Wrap Up part II



And here is the second part of the August wrap up ! I read a total of 9 books this month woo ! I am quite proud of myself... I don't think I've read this many books in a month since... maybe middle school ?


{ Harry Potter & the chamber of secrets by J.K. Rowling  }
* DO I NEED TO SUM THIS UP ??
*This is always a pleasure to re-read Rowling's masterpiece. I have read this series countless times but I always understand new elements, discover new things and find joy in seeing my beloved characters once more. That probably sounds insane, but Hogwarts really is a second home for me.
* I am just so impatient to read the Cursed Child that I needed to read another HP just to soothe my heart. I haven't read this last "bonus" book and I feel like i'm betraying myself because for the last 15 years Harry has been my life, but my best friend bought it for my birthday so I have to patiently wait to see her (a tear runs down her cheek, looks up at the sky with great sorrow "why art thou doing this to me ? Oh cruel fate !" I read too much Shakespeare I guess)

{ The Reader of Broken Wheel recommend by Katarina Bivald } VF
* This is the story of Sara Lindquist a swedish librarian who exchanges letters with an old american lady, Amy Harris. When Sara looses her job, Amy asks her to spend a couple of month in her little town in Iowa. But, when Sara arrives in Broken Wheel Amy is deceased.
* It's one of those good chick lit novels that makes you happy and gives a positive message but also deals with serious matters. I loved how this novel constantly refers to other novels, and how it gives some food for the thoughts on how literature can change a life or how you can have the Emma Bovary syndrome and think that books are better than reality. I would definitely recommend reading this on holidays or on a gloomy autumn day. It was lovely read.

{ A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith } VF
* Francie is a little girl living in Brooklyn, New York in early 20th century. She's very poor and has to  deal with hunger and money issues on a daily basis. Francie loves books and movies, she wants to be a writer, but how to be one when there's barely enough money to get through the week ?
* Not exactly what I am used to read. I was pleasantly surprised that the narrator didn't dwell on the sadness and harshness of poverty. Yes, a big chunk of the story is about how Francie and her family deals with money and work and food, but really, what we see is the love in this family.
* I loved Katie the mother, such a strong woman ! surprisingly, I didn't feel connected to Francie, she's a very nice kid, but I don't know... I wasn't moved by her fate.

{ La drôle de vie de Zelda Zonk by Laurence Peyrin } VF + french author
* Hanna lives in the irish countryside near Cork with her husband jeff and her sister's daughter Patti. Unfortunately a car accident sends her to the hospital. That's where she'll meet Zelda, a bubbly old lady with a very handsome son. Hanna's life will never be the same.
* The first part of the novel was quite good, fresh, lovely and with good promises. But from the moment Hanna travels to Paris everything goes wrong. I didn't understand the author's decisions and it only got worse. The ending got me jumping off my seat and spit my orange juice, it was that bad. I'm disappointed because the first half was such a good start, it's a pity it had to end this way !

{ Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling & Jack Thorne }
* The story picks up nineteen years later, in King's Cross station. Albus, Harry's son is torn between what the world awaits from him and what he feels.
* I don't want to reveal too much of the plot as it appears quite late in the script. I must WARN YOU that this is NOT the 8th Harry Potter book. It's, from my humble opinion, a bonus story that you certainly don't need to read. I loved getting to dive into the HP world once more, I loved the little things that reminded me of the original series. I also thought in depth, the plot is interesting, there were some good ideas. Unfortunately, the authors tried to cram too much in this play, meaning that a lot of things seemed too easily resolved, too fast paced and some ideas just...terrible (the trolley lady was probably the most WTF thing I've ever come across). On top of that I regretted the absence of some characters such as George or teddy Lupin as well as the misreading of Ron's character.

credit image: google + tumblr "the-book-ferret" 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire