vendredi 9 septembre 2016

August Wrap Up Part I

I was absent for awhile here, but I intend on trying to keep up with this blog. I realized that I couldn't write book reviews at every book i read because i read too much and I would have to write two posts per week and basically only talk about that which is not what i want. So, i will still be talking about books I've read but in a more concentrated version ! Here is the very first wrap up of the blog :



{Middlemarch by George Eliot}
* I was looking for a nice big chunky novel and my eyes fell on this. This is the story of three complicated love stories in the english countryside.
*I loved Eliot's humor very cynical and Jane Austen-esque. The novel is very descriptive and full of little details about the character's psychological traits, sometimes a bit too much.
*That was way too long and detailed. I love long descriptive novels but this was over the board. I found a lot of moments irrelevant to the plot and useless for our understanding of the characters. I got bored approaching the end... I'm kind of sorry because I really wanted to like it.

{ The Rook by Daniel O'Malley } VF
* This is a sci-fi novel in which the main character Myfanwy Thomas wakes up in the middle of the street surrounded by men with rubber gloves. She doesn't know who she is or what happened, but her life is under threat and she has to make choices.
* This whole story was DA BOMB, i absolutely loved Myfanwy the most sassy character ever after Harry Potter. I also enjoyed the men in black atmosphere as Myfanwy is working in a british paranormal secret agency called the Chequy and has for co-workers vampires and mind-readers. She herself has powers and is a total bad-ass. If I had to describe it in a word it would be Sassy.

{ A clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin } VF
* I read the second part of this huge book where the story picks out on Arya, Jon and Tyrion's adventures and misfortunes. I can't reveal much because of spoilers.
*I didn't like it that much. I was happy to read about my favorite characters (all listed above) but this felt like a transitional book where nothing much happened and I felt like I was endlessly waiting for something to happen. I could definitely feel like "winter is coming" but after 400 pages I didn't see a single snowflake. Damn You George.

{ Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer }
* After writing an article on the tragic quest of Christopher Mccandless and his death in an abandoned bus in Alaska, Jon Krakauer digs deeper in the life of this epic wanderer in an essay.
*This is a re-read for my "mémoire" (I don't know how this translate but this just a long dissertation on a subject that I choose and that has to be around 60 pages) and I loved it just as much as I did when i first read it in high school. I love how Krakauer tells the story and immerse us in McCandless' hopes and train of thoughts. I also loved how he incorporated letters from people reacting to his first article and criticizing their point of view in a clever and argued way.



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire